Wednesday, February 22, 2017

The Adventure to Egypt Begins...




Mommy and Daddy have been telling me about Egypt for a long time. They told me that some of the oldest buildings in the world are there! I asked if they were old like mommy and daddy, and they said older. I asked if they were old like grandma and grandpa, and Mommy and Daddy said Grandma and Grandpa aren't old.  I don't know much about old things, so I asked Mommy to tell me a story. She told me of a people who lived in the Fertile Crescent. How the Nile would flood and make the banks wonderfully full of good soil for farming. She told me about Ra, the god of the sun, and Osiris and Isis. There were hundreds of good stories leading up to travel day... It got me thinking about religion, and how so many religions have similar stories. I wonder why that is? And I was a little scared of the idea that they used to cut the heart out of the body. I know I wouldn't know if I was dead, but I'd like to keep my heart where it is, thank you very much.

The night before we left, I dreamt I was climbing the pyramids.... I saw myself on top of the biggest pyramid, fur blowing in the breeze... Then Mommy woke me up and said it was time to.go to the airport!





It takes lots of airplanes and time to get to Egypt. Mommy showed me a globe of where we live and where Egypt is; we're on the other side of the world! 

On the plane, Daddy talked about ailerons and flaps and landing gear. Mommy went to sleep.

We visited Germany for a bit, and Mommy went back to sleep.

 She woke up real fast for food though. She said it was the best airline food she's had. She ate a lot of cheese. I mostly just ate bananas. The plane was huge, and Mommy and Daddy were packed like sardines! I hoped up high where there was space.


When we landed, everything was different. The airport had a lot of symbols I didn't understand. Daddy said they were Arabic. We had a dozen people offer us a ride; Mommy picked one, and we were off.



The driving was like a ride! We went between cars and horse carriages and tuk-tuks. I asked Mommy if we could ride a Tuk-Tuk. She said maybe, but I know she wanted to. There were horns, all the time, everywhere! And motorcycles! The people rode like me- no helmets in sight. Mommy spotted one with a disco headlight; there weren't many lights on the motorcycles. Mommy and Daddy tried to talk to the driver, but it became a series of gestures and laughs. The driver only knew a few words of English. I hoped he knew where we were going!


One funny thing the driver told us was a part of Cairo we were driving through: "Museum by day, Night Cloob by night."  He repeated "Night Cloob, you know, oontz oontz oontz." This made Mommy laugh and laugh.

Suddenly, we were there. In a little alley full of howling wild dogs, camels, and horses roaming the streets looking for food, there were pyramids.


Our hotel was right there! Mommy and Daddy were tired, but I didn't sleep a wink. I watched the horses and dogs and camels, but mostly just watched the pyramids and daydreamed about curses and Indiana Jones and the cradle of civilization.

When Mommy and Daddy woke up, I asked how old the pyramids are. Daddy said these pyramids are about 4500 years old. I'd been thinking about trying to understand this all night. Since I'm three, that makes the pyramids 1500 times older than me. That's pretty old.

From the stories Mommy told me, I learned Egyptians wanted to live forever. I think that by making these pyramids, the actually achieved that goal. I feel connected to a civilization that existed 4500 years before I was born; that is pretty much a way to live forever. It makes me remember wanting to be famous, when I was a little monkey. This seems... better than fame. Touching the hearts and minds of people in the future is pretty powerful stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment