Saturday, February 25, 2017

Last Days of Egypt

One day in Egypt, we decided to explore some old tombs...  The pyramids at Saqqara and Durfur were like the learning pyramids for Giza. It was so cool to go down and see the hieroglyphics that were still brightly colored! 
Man of the Desert

Step Pyramid
Our tour guide Abdul even found a monkey hieroglyph! Mommy and Daddy played in the sarcophagus, but I stayed far away from that; I don't want a mummy curse.
Monkey Hieroglyph
Mommy in the Sarcophagus

Daddy in the Sarcophagus
In Memphis, we found a cool outdoor museum! There were statues of Ramses and Hapshetsut that were my favorite.
Ramses II
Ramses II
Our tour guide let me go anywhere I wanted
More Hieroglyphs!
Our guide took us to lunch.  He said they were going to cook a little Monkey for lunch!  I got out of there quick.
Lunch in Memphis

Abdul took his to his favorite shops.  Daddy got to try on a traditional head scarf.  We went to an amazing shop with oils, and Mommy was so in awe, that she forgot to take pictures!  Silly mommy.  She had to tell me to sit still a lot, because there was a lot of glass around.
Daddy's Egyptian now! 
We went on a Nile Diner Cruise after this magical day and saw belly dancing and folk dancing.  I snuck off while Mommy and Daddy had dinner and helped the captain drive the ship! 
Nile River at Night

Nile Dinner Cruise

We spent the next two days exploring Cairo. GAD was our favorite resturaunt.  Mommy discovered Fried Greek Cheese!  We had Falafels and French Fries for breakfast every day.  Mommy and Daddy loved looking down at the busy street and seeing the cars compete for space, or the man on a bicycle ride with one hand, using his other hand to carry a 6'x6' tray of pita down the road! 
GAD

The Egyptian Museum was huge! I think it's bigger than the Winchester Mystery House! We saw everything from hieroglyphics to statues to pillars to mummies! Mommy had me take a picture with a mummy; when I turned around I found out it was a monkey mummy and I scurried away quick! I don't like mummies much.
Egyptian Museum
Egyptian Museum

Egyptian Museum

Egyptian Museum
Egyptian Museum

Mummy Monkey!!
We went to the Citadel, and enjoyed views of Cairo and cool old mosques.
Citadel
Citadel
Citadel
View from the Citadel
 And then we went for lunch at a five star restaurant in Al Ahzar Park. This park in Cairo, is a lovely oasis in the midst of chaos. The food was amazing, and it was a momentary reprieve from the sounds of the horns. We wandered around the park after lunch, up to the view point and past the many lovely fountains. It was magical.

Al Azhar Park
Al Azhar Park
The next day, we had an adventure to Cairo tower! This was a very tall tower like the space Needle. It even has a revolving resturaunt like the space Needle! We went up to the view point, and off in the distance, you could see the pyramids of Giza. How incredible it must be to have that as part of your view every day. I also spent some time monkeying around, making Mommy a little nervous about me playing over the long drop it would be if I fell. But I had fun, and I knew I was safe! 
Cairo Tower
Selfie
Cairo Tower
Cairo Tower
Cairo Tower - Wheee!


We all monkeyed around on the trees free we came back down, and it was a lot of fun.

Banyan Tree Fun!
There is a feeling of being very tied to ancient civilization and the past when you are in Egypt. In Portland, there are many images of Mt. Hood or the coast; In Egypt, there are many images of pyramids, the lotus flower, and hieroglyphs. There is a sense of the Pharaohs from the past watching over the city.

I wonder what the Ancients would think of the modern Cairo?

Until our next adventure, Sukrah for reading, and safe travels!






No comments:

Post a Comment